EVANSTON, Ill. — Top-seeded Cody Pack of South Dakota State moved into the 157-pound semifinals in dramatic fashion Tuesday night, recording his 100th career win in the process, on the opening day of the 53rd Ken Kraft Midlands Championships.
After receiving a first-round bye, Pack, a senior from Quincy, California scored a 19-4 technical fall over Devin Geoghegan of Old Dominion (Va.). Later in the afternoon session, he turned in a 16-2 major decision win over Shayne Tucker of Oklahoma.
In Tuesday night’s quarterfinal match, Pack trailed ninth-seeded Markus Scheidel of Columbia (N.Y.), 5-2, entering the third period. Pack managed an escape seven seconds into the period and followed moments later with a takedown and pin to become the first Jackrabbit wrestler in the Division I era – and 13th overall — to reach the 100-win mark.
Including Pack, five of the 13 Jackrabbit wrestlers entered in the two-day tournament advanced to Wednesday’s rounds. All of SDSU’s four other wrestlers will continue to compete in the consolation brackets, including 141-pounder Seth Gross, who posted a 4-1 mark on Tuesday.
A redshirt freshman from Apple Valley, Minnesota, the 15th-seeded Gross scored a 6-4 decision over Jack Mutchnik of American University in the opening round. He later moved into the round of 16 with an 8-5 decision over Jimmy Morris of Rider (N.J.).
Gross ended the opening session by dropping a 10-2 major decision to second-seeded Kevin Jack of North Carolina State, but stayed alive in the two-day tournament with consecutive 7-2 victories over Noah Teaney of Oklahoma and Iowa’s Topher Carton in Tuesday night’s wrestlebacks.
Senior Ben Gillette came through with a pair of wins in Tuesday night’s consolation rounds. After losing to second-seeded Ronnie Bresser in his first match of the tournament, Gillette scored a 13-7 victory over Shakur Laney of Ohio to open the evening, then rallied for a 6-4 overtime decision against Iowa State’s Nathan Boston.
David Kocer began his tournament run in the 174-pound division with a 5-0 shutout of North Dakota State’s Blake Thompson. After dropping a 4-1 decision to fifth-seeded Lelund Weatherspoon, Kocer rebounded during the evening session with respective wins of 7-1 and 4-2 over Jacob Davis of Eastern Michigan and Oregon State’s Tyler Chay.
At 197 pounds, the Jackrabbits’ Nate Rotert was seeded third. After opening with an 11-9 victory over Steven Holloway of Iowa, Rotert dropped a 5-3 decision to 14th-seeded Derek White of Nebraska to move into the consolation bracket.
Rotert remained in contention with a pair of victories Tuesday night, opening the evening session with a 17-6 major decision of Purdue’s Drake Stein. He finished the night with a 9-2 win over 11th-seeded Cody Crawford of Oregon State.
Two other Jackrabbit wrestlers – 149-pounder Alex Kocer and 184-pounder Brady Ayers – each won their first two matches in Tuesday’s afternoon session, but wound up bowing out of the tournament with losses in the consolation rounds.
On the strength of winning nine of their first 11 matches during the evening session, the Jackrabbits moved into 12th place in the team standings with 35.5 points. Iowa leads the 43-team field with 96 points, followed by fellow Big Ten Conference members Nebraska (78) and Rutgers (N.J.) (62).
Competition resumes at noon on Wednesday, with placing matches scheduled to begin at 8 p.m.
Following are the Jackrabbits’ complete results from the opening day of the Ken Kraft Midlands Championships, along with upcoming matches:
125: Ben Gillette, Sr., Redfield
• lost to No. 2 Ronnie Bresser (Oregon State), by major dec., 14-6
• dec. Shakur Laney (Ohio), 13-7
• dec. Nathan Boston (Iowa State), 6-4 (SV-1)
• vs. No. 11 Brandon Jeske (Old Dominion)
133: Brance Simms, Sr., Gilmore City, Iowa [seeded 12th]
• dec. Joel Shump (Ohio), 8-2
• lost to No. 5 Mason Beckman (Lehigh), by major dec., 10-2
• dec. Austin Eicher (Northern Illinois), 5-2
• lost to No. 4 Eric Montoya (Nebraska), by major dec. 10-2
141: Seth Gross, R-Fr., Apple Valley, Minn. [seeded 15th]
• dec. Jack Mutchnik (American), 6-4
• dec. Jimmy Morris (Rider), 8-5
• lost to No. 2 Kevin Jack (North Carolina State), by major dec., 10-2
• dec. Noah Teaney (Oklahoma), 7-2
• dec. Topher Carton (Iowa), 7-2
• vs. No. 1 Chris Mecate (Old Dominion)
149: Alex Kocer, Jr., Wagner [seeded 10th]
• major dec. Danny Reed (Columbia), 11-0
• dec. Sam Melikian (North Carolina State), 6-4
• lost to No. 7 Gabe Moreno (Iowa State), by fall, 4:23
• dec. No. 13 Shyheim Brown (Maryland), 2-1
• lost to No. 15 Max Thomsen (unattached-Northern Iowa), by dec., 6-3
Alex Kocer eliminated
157: Cody Pack, Sr., Quincy, Calif. [seeded first]
• tech. fall Devin Geoghegan (Old Dominion), 19-4
• major dec. Shayne Tucker (Oklahoma), 16-2
• def. No. 9 Markus Scheidel (Columbia), by fall 5:52
• vs. No. 4 John Boyle (American)
157: Logan Peterson, R-Fr., Lake Lillian, Minn.
• lost to No. 7 Edwin Cooper, Jr. (Iowa), by dec., 16-4
• dec. Nate Higgins (Southern Illinois-Edwardsville), 13-10
• lost to Logan Breitenbach (Iowa State), by dec., 6-3
165: Luke Zilverberg, So., Belle Plaine, Minn. [seeded 11th]
• dec. Arsen Ashughyan (Ohio), 6-5
• lost to No. 6 Clark Glass (Oklahoma), by dec., 7-5
• dec. Shaun’Qae McMurtry (Northern Illinois), 6-5
• lost to Austin Reese (Ohio), by dec., 3-1
165: Joe Brewster, Sr., Park Ridge, Ill. [seeded 12th]
• lost to Patrick Rhoads (Iowa), by dec., 3-2
• def. Nolan Kistler (California Baptist), by injury default
• lost to No. 2 Austin Wilson (Nebraska), by dec., 5-1
174: David Kocer, So., Wagner [seeded 12th]
• dec. Blake Thompson (North Dakota State), 5-0
• lost to No. 5 Lelund Weatherspoon (Iowa State), by dec., 4-1
• dec. Jacob Davis (Eastern Michigan), 7-1
• dec. Tyler Chay (Oregon State), 4-2
• vs. No. 7 Taylor Lujan (unattached-Northern Iowa)
184: Brady Ayers, Jr., Waterville, Minn.
• dec. Lance Dixon (Oklahoma), 3-2
• dec. Michael Fetchet (Columbia), 3-1
• lost to No. 1 David Taylor (Penn State), by tech. fall, 15-0
• lost to Michale Fagg-Daves (Rider), by dec., 4-3
184: Ben Schwery, Jr., Underwood, Iowa
• dec. Danny Hicks (Illinois), 3-1
• lost to No. 4 Sammy Brooks (Iowa), by dec., 9-4
• dec. Cash Wilcke (unattached-Iowa), 3-0
• lost to Corey Griego (Oregon State), by dec., 6-1
184: Josh Casperson, R-Fr., Beresford
• lost to Abram Ayala (Princeton), by fall, 3:26
• lost to Cash Wilcke (unattached-Iowa), by dec. 2-1
197: Nate Rotert, So., Spearfish [seeded third]
• dec. Steven Holloway (unattached-Iowa), 11-9
• lost to No. 14 Derek White (Nebraska), by dec., 5-3
• major dec. Drake Stein (Purdue), 17-6
• dec. No. 11 Cody Crawford (Oregon State), 9-2
• vs. No. 8 Michael Boykin (North Carolina State)
View More College News
Click Here: cd universidad catolica